Monday, August 10, 2015

You Look Like a Mexican

 According to one Filipino, I don't look American, I look Mexican. I'll take it. haha.

I forgot my list of things to share with you all this week but I guess I'll just try to remember. 

This was a good week. I saw fireflies for the first time in my life...I ate balut (it was better than I thought it would be.) We had Zone interviews. Our Mission President is great. His counsel to us was to always be on the Lord's side.
One funny thing he said. In the missionary handbook it says to not babysit children of any age. He said "so if your companion is acting like a child, you need to right away report it to my wife, because it is forbidden for you to babysit." That is how he is. I love and miss President Monahan, and I love President Deyro. I am so lucky to have 2 presidents in my mission. 

We found 13 new investigators this week. Woohoo! It has been rough to learn a new area and find good times for all the people but I know as we do it by His way and in His power, His work will not fail.

We have an investigator named Helen. She and her boyfriend, Jomar, will be baptized on Aug 29 (Don't worry. They don't live together.) and she in her words, is "an addict to the book of mormon." 
It has been so fun to see the joy in her and Jomar's life as they prepare to be baptized. We can all be addicts to the BoM. To our spiritual studies. I know now that I have studied almost every day I have found that it is a part of my life. It's like eating breakfast, you just do it.

I had a thought today while reading the first part of Latter Day Saints Keep on Trying. He says basically that God doesn't care as much as who we once were as who we are and who we are becoming. I was thinking about how if we see a garden we never think "what an ugly garden. It used to be just seeds. It used to have weeds... they should just get rid of it" Of course we just enjoy and appreciate it. We can share the vegetables or flowers with others. Likewise with ourselves. We don't need to focus on who we used to be. We should share what has grown with others. And of course, seeds come from the things that have grown, so we can give others seeds to plant only by letting our seeds grow. 
Hope that makes sense. Love you all!!!

-- 
Pictures: my mean companion made me eat balut. Just kidding, I wanted to :)
Also there are two pictures of scriptures and the margin notes I made when I was 8. I get a good laugh from them. I don't know what kind of family night lesson could be made from that chapter, and I find it said that the question mom and dad ask us is why we smite our younger brother with a rod. Grabe haha. my childhood. ;)
Sister Smith







Letter to Mom:

Hi, I forgot my list of things to tell all of you so I'll focus on ansewring your email.

1. Pres Deyro emailed us today and reccomended that we read the Infinite atonement. Grabe, I really want to read it and I would like to have my own book...so if it wouldn't hurt you too much ;) I guess I could wait till Christmas but I like what he said about it. "it's a good book to master if you are looking for solid personal conversion." So maybe pray about it and if you want to send it sooner rather than later I won't complain. (note from mom: took it to the post office this morning)

I miss you, like really too. Yesterday I teared up in sacrament.I was like what the heck? I am old enough in the mission to not cry about being homesick. haha. but I'm fine. I'm glad I'm here too.
 
Sis. Untong is in Manila right now getting a check up. So hopefully her arm is good. I have really enjoyed being her companion. :)

Pork blood is actually kindof dangerous so I'm glad I didn't die ;) 

I loved the Liahona. I liked the one about patience. (note from mom: I talked to her about some articles in the Ensign. She looked for them in the Liahona) 

I wanted to tell you my goals for the last year of my mission. I tried to think of them. I think what I really want to do is to become truly happy. I know that is pretty broad but I think you know that that is why I am here. To learn to be happy by helping others. Included in that is the need to become HOPEFUL and patient and kind and to learn more about the Savior. Because He is the Joy to the world.So a lot of things. 

Keep praying for me, fast if you see a need but don't worry :) 

I got my shoe package this week. IT was awesome. The shoes are pretty great until they gave me blisters. I will wear them with socks next time and they should be okay. haha.

The shirt with the yellow flowers was the ukay ukay one. So like 60 cents. Cute right? :) 

I am attaching a picture that is a list of music for tyler to try. some of it's girly but some of it is awesome.

I love you so much. I'm sorry I forgot my list of things to tell you. Oh well. Just know I'm good and I will get better every day. 
Mahal kita, Inay! (I love you, mother)

also my comp gave me a skirt and it looks familiar. like I used to have it before. maybe I'm cray. 
bye.



Letter to Dad:
Hi,
my week was pretty good. I forgot my list of things to tell you so you will get a good answer to your email today. 
I miss family crap. Even though it's always stressful and loud and stuff. I miss the food too. Next year na lang. 
Wow, toilets. Toilets that work. That's a beautiful thought.
I'm glad your calling is helping you see so many neat things and people. I hope I am really changing the world. My focus is changing and I know I'm becoming more like Him. I'm sure mom has had you listen to Someone He Can Count On, but I find myself thinking thoughts like that more than discouragement now. My investigators are okay. We found some new people this week. I didn't see jolimar until last night but I told him we need to meet his familyi so we will go this week. :) I think you could just pray for people to feel the spirit when I teach. I will try to give you more details about investigators sometime. 
One thing that happened this week is my comp and I were walking and all of a sudden she said "I don't want to walk there." I thought she was kidding but when I looked at her I realized she felt something, and when I turned around I was like yeah we shouldn't go that way. Even though it was so close to our LA's house, we walked back to a different place. The whole way I had a scary feeling and this gay guy that was maybe drunk tried to follow us part of the way and it was creepy. But I realized how protected we are as missionaries. I've had a few experiences I don't know if I've told you all yet but I am grateful for the Holy ghost and for my companion to be in tune quickly. 
I'm sorry about that crap about the church. The world is hard today. I never saw anti mormon stuff till I had done my mision papers which makes me see how hard satan tries. but even though it has been hard to overcome those hurdles, i will never forsake the church.  
I will work my whole life every day and every minute because I dont' want to leave. 
I will be good and be happy. And I will laugh.  
You're an awesome dad. You're like the best friend dad everyone wishes they had.  
Love you. Tell the boys Hi. I am sorry it is sooo hard for me to write all of you. It's expensive to send letters too. But I am planning on writing later today. 
K. Love ya. Oh yeah, thanks for the one letter I have received from you since I've been in the field. I got the package. Happy Birthday ;)  
I can't believe you read my journal. What a cool dad ;) haha it means a lot the things you said actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment