Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Be here at 11. Oh, and bring all your bags

I was transfered this week. Haha hence the subject. I guess it was probably the plan all along. My new companion was hit by a tricycle a few weeks ago and they weren't sure when she would return so yeah. I am now in the Urdaneta 2nd ward. We are opening an area so it's crazy at times but also such a blessing. I needed a random unexpected change I guess. 

My new companion is Sis. Untang. She's astig (note from mom: cool, awesome). Her family are all Muslim and they are pretty cool from what I've heard. Her favorite color is the same as mine. She likes skateboarding and tacos. And she loves You are My Sunshine. Which is like one of my favorite songs. 

Happy Pioneer Day. It was really (not) exciting here haha :)

My new area is really beautiful. There are a lot of fields and it's pretty. The part that is out of the city anyway. 

We have some great new investigators. One is my brother's age and it just makes me want to help them so much when I relate them to those I love. I am so grateful for the opportunity to bring a little light into their lives. Jesus Christ IS the LIGHT OF THE WORLD. 

One exciting part of the week. We found a place with Mexican Style tacos. That is a taste I've missed.

We also have a lot of cockroaches... wooo. 

One thing I've been thinking of this week, this world is a battle right now. I found a lot of quotes and ideas in my studies this week that were related to that. We are in a battle between evil and good. We all chose to be on the same team before this life, so we need to work hard to stay on the same team. If a player on your team got confused in the game would you let them help the other team? No :) So lets get together and let our Captain guide our actions. 

Also I came across a story about the last prophet, Pres. Hinckley. He was asked once in an interview if he really believed the story of Joseph Smith. He answered "Of course I do. That's the miracle." As I have pondered this story, I realized that is the miracle. We didn't see it happen but the fact that all of us can receive a spiritual witness of it for ourselves IS a miracle.

Focus on your small successes and be aware of all the small blessings.
Mahal ko kayo.


--
Sister Smith

Interesting side note from mom:

Just a week or so ago, I was reading the blog of a senior missionary couple in Urdaneta. I read about a sister missionary who had been hit by a tricycle, and the story really interested me. Lo and behold, my daughter ends up being her companion. Small world, isn't it?

From Elder and Sister Roberts (http://elderandsisterroberts.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-rainy-season-manila-temple-our.html):

Our Mission President's wife, Sister Deyro called to see if we could go to a Manila Hospital to take the suitcase of a Sister Missionary who broke her arm getting hit by a tryke - driver who was drunk.   (Our ok to go to Manila had been granted the day before).
   
   Then we learned she already received her suitcase.   

We wished we could go see the Sister at the Hospital.  But too far, too long...

After the Temple session, we met Elder Anderson, He is over all the Philippines Sr. Couples.  He said the injured Sister was at the MRC (Missionary Recovery Center) across the street from the Temple where we were!

We saw two  of our Sister Missionaries there.  What a blessing to see they are improving. Our tender mercies...


Letter to Mom & Dad (Nanay at Tatay):

Nanay at Tatay!

I miss you and love you. I am so happy you are my parents.

 Here are answers to your last letter (with the INSTA book! :)

I don't need you to send more scriptures. That stresses me out to decide who to give them to.

It takes about 12ish days for letters. the insta package took 9 days. but sometiems they take a long time to give them to me. 

Tagalog is hard

I don't know if Sis. P ever got any letters. You can email her!

I get letters from Shanna Wheeler sometimes, grandmas, Michael sometimes. 

My new companion speaks okay english. SHe's awesome. 
 
My clothes are all pretty good. The worst are the most expensive. sayang diva? (note from mom: alas, right?) It's okay though. I wear the tshirts from sis J's mom and they are the best. I bought myself a shirt for my 6 months. I wish I would have brought more shorter skirts. I'll let you know if I want you to send clothes. 

Tell tyler there is NO WAY i can watch the cokevillle miracle on my mission ahah.

Keaton going to USU makes me cry. 

Sunrises and sunsets are sooo great. :) I love what you said about sending them back and forth.

I am grateful I got emergency transferred because it gave me a chance to start fresh and new. IT's been really good for me. 

I was thinking about Grandma HOwell dying right before my mission and I realized maybe it was so she could be here in the Philippines sometimes. (note from mom: This makes me cry every time I think of it. My grandma and grandpa served a mission in the Philippines, and I think Aubrey is right... they would be there helping her as much as they could. <3 )

Oct 1996 ensign is good. 

Well. that's about it. I love you.

--
Sister Smith










No comments:

Post a Comment