Tuesday, June 30, 2015

And June is Ending

This week we had a great zone conference. Sister Monahan talked about how our trials help us. And about how it is important to live in the moment. I especially loved how she taught that we must listen and pay attention to the things the Lord is teaching us every day. President Monahan gave a great talk and helped me to appreciate the Book of Mormon even more. He also talked about discipleship. One thing I really liked that he said was "We must all ascend the mountain of our own character, and at the summit, we will find the character of Christ." 

The scariest and hardest thing of my week was getting surgery on my ingrown toenail. Woohoo. 

This week we met a new investigator and I have really enjoyed teaching her. She is unfamiliar with religion but she understands God's love for her. 

We also have continued teaching our farmer investigator with the goats. His goats had babies. 

My companion and I gave a workshop this week. I learned a lot from studying for it. I love being a missionary because in preparing for my work, I get to learn.

I forgot to take a picture of my first pair of shoes with holes in the bottom. I threw my Holy Shoes in the trash.

I finished the Book of Mormon this week. In the attachments I shared some of my thoughts.
One cool finding experience. we saw a man selling bread (he had a cart connected to a motorcycle. Later on we saw some tongs on the ground. I felt so sad inside, and my companion did too. It was silly because they were just tongs for the bread but we debated if we should pick them up and see if we found him later. but we kept walking. a while later a little boy ran up to us and just stood there. then we said hi to his mom. after talking for a while she mentioned her husband was selling bread. ding ding ding! we went back and got the tongs then we went and taught her. 

Well. Those are some of the things that happened this week. I have really been growing a lot. I am so grateful for all of your support. Thank you for your prayers and letters, and emails and love.  Love you all!

Pictures:
Corn drying. One day it was drying on a basketball court and so I called it a basketball corn. But I didn't get a pic.
For Grandma Lynda specifically: A picture of me and Elder Lind. He is in a different zone but when we have conferences we were combined.
Book of Mormon

--
Sister Smith






To Mom and Dad:

So this was an interesting week. 
Really hard.
But also okay.

I read in D&C 58 and 67 this week. They were good. Although some of the circumstances are different, I needed some of that counsel. 

I fixed a violin and played it this week at a member's house. I couldn't really fix it because the bridge came off but i placed it the best I could and then played I am a child of God for them. 

I had surgery on my stupid toe. I withdrew a lot of money, but I got reimbursed. So don't worry. It seems to be fine. It didn't hurt really at all which kindof worried me because I remember last time it KILLED. 

After I got my toe surgery, we stopped at the mission office and there was a family there visiting with their son who went home in january. they were from tooele. (mom, ask jason and dallas if they know Manzione family). anyway they left. but a few minutes later the mom came back and she was crying and she said she knew I needed a hug and she talked to me about how she had lived in a different country before and how it sucked and how she understands how hard it is but that it's a good thing. and after it's over you look back and see all the things you loved so to try to enjoy it. she was so nice. she took a picture, did she send it to you? 

Another thing. I was talking to a senior couple and sister monahan about my toe because they were like "have you tried different shoes?" and blah blah then the senior sister sat down with me later and said "I have one suggestion for you." and she said that reoccuring problems with physical health sometimes have to do with spiritual/emotional things. She said that I needed to forgive either myself or others. She said that my recurring foot problem translates to that I am harboring feelings of Unforgiveness and it is not letting me move forward, therefore a foot problem. she also said that general authorities and other people go to forgiveness counselors in salt lake sometimes, I guess her dad is a gen. auth, and she said that was something he learned. 

I've been trying to APPLY more holiness give me. I usually pick 2 goals every day so the last few days my goals have been lines from the song. haha.

Remember that apartment we cleaned before my mission? I was thinking about how hard that was to see their living conditions. Then I compared it to what I see every day. It's crazy how perceptions change. 

Haha the other day I felt like crap. we were teaching in like the doorway of a garage and I heard a gross sound. I saw a dog puke and then try to eat his puke. Then later our fellowshipper (50yo man) was like I don't feel good and stood up and was tooting and like had to run to their toilet. Then later that day a cat threw up by us. Then later my companion had to go home really fast because she needed to poop. IT was a weird day. 

Pres Monahan goes home on wednesday. It's crazy. 

I dont know what to do with the extra scriptures you sent... I was thinking of just sending them to sis jenkins but then I also don't want to just give them away if there's someone that really needs them. It's hard too because those things are like gold here and I don't want anyone to be jealous.

Faith quotes this week:
You exercise faith by causing, or by making, your mind accept of believe as truth that which you cannot, by reason alone, prove for certainty. Boyd K. Packer.

The past is to be learned from but not lived in. It is not right to go back and open some ancient wound that the Son of God Himself died to heal...God doesn't care nearly as much about where you have been as He does about where you are and with His help, where you are willing to go...Faith is for the future. Faith builds on the past but never longs to stay there. faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us and that Christ truly is the "high Priest of good things to come. " keep you eyes on your dreams, however distant and far away. Live to see the miracles of repentance and forgiveness, of trust and divine love that will transform your life today, tomorrow, and forever. Jeffrey R. Holland

Well, I love you a lot. I have a letter written to send with some experiences for you all, and you'll get some in the group email. 


Love you! 


--
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment