Thursday, October 22, 2015

So This is What a Typhoon Looks Like

I can't really remember a lot about my week. It was a good week. We had some great experiences. One being the Lucena family. The three kids we've been teaching have passed their baptismal interview. It has been miraculous to observe their family experiencing the atonement. The first time I went there the parents were "too busy" or hiding from us. The parents are members, but not active (before.) The kids fought, the parents fought, we could barely share a simple message. But thanks to perseverance and the Spirit, we have seen Christ change them. Even the little kids sit and listen to us. They have begun to have family prayer. the contention is lowering so drastically. We love them and are so excited for their family to continue to grow. 

One funny story about them- their dad still hasn't come to church. A few weeks ago their family stopped drinking coffee. Last time we were there the dad said "I think I really will have to go to church. NOw we don't drink coffee, there is enough money for me to go to church for sure." It was a great simple blessing. We hope to see him in church soon.

This week I got told I have Taylor Swift eyes and I am a perfect example of "classic 1960s american beauty." I'll take it. 

I had an Old Testament marathon while we were locked up this weekend. As I studied today in D&C 1, I pondered how in the Old Testament the challenge was idolatry. Now, we may not worship statues, but what idols are in your life? Do you put your new car or your education or even your job above He who gave you life?

I will tell a little about the typhoon. We were told one might come. On Sunday morning I woke up at 3 am. I didn't sleep again. It was pitch black. the faint light outside was just enough to see trees whipping around. I don't know how to explain the wind. It was different. Sunday church was cancelled. We were grateful for the members who braved the storm to bring us the sacrament. Our power came back sunday night, and the storm calmed. Monday we were also stuck in the apartment. One monday night after a day of lots of rain but less crazy wind they said we'd go outside today. We went to bed finally able to really rest...only to be woken up at midnight. They were bringing a bunch of sisters to our house whose areas were flooding. So it was an adventure, but nothing too bad. Many prayers were answered as the proposed 5 day storm turned and changed. I am grateful for the preparation we took and I hope all of you are prepared with 72 hour kits. and I hope you have tastier canned food than me.

I love you all. thanks for your prayers and support. I will take pics next time there's a typhoon. Just kiddin.

Have a great week! Remember God's hand is in everything. Every heartache, pain, trial and even our own mistakes can be turned into the most crucial moments in our lives-for our POSITIVE growth.
Love yall. Mahal ko kayo lahat!
Sister smith

--
Sister Smith








To Mom:


I don't know if your awake but I would like the pics I took at the temples last year in november I think they are all on my insta. If you have time to send them now, or you can send them next week.   

My toe seems to be improving. I just wore flip flops for a while. It's better to be ugly than hurt.

I am learning to ami. Aka shake my bootie like an Islander. Missions teach us everything.

You should read the Remarkable Soul of a Woman by Uchtdorf. When you have a half hour and nothing to do. (haha. like that happens)

I need to exercise.

I got davie today!

I like 1 Ne 16 about reacting to adversity. 

I love you a lot. I thought a lot during the typhoon when I was awake at 3 am. You are awesome. Sorry this is short. I am attaching a lame part written letter and a pic of the awesome thing my hair does here. Love ya!

--
Sister Smith








To Dad:



I read your other email but it's hard to reply to both well. I love you a lot. We got our letters today. Sis Smith wasn't offended. haha. I read it, I hope she gets it. 

I am grateful for our safety but it is hard knowing so many have it so much worse and we can't even do a lot about it. But we have the gospel to share which lessens any earthly calamity.

It was kindof scary, kindof wet. Our area wasn't bad really but around us bad stuff.

Yeah, life is easy there and hard there too. Everything is just perspective. THeres a lot of hard things at home i don't miss and then there's trials here. 

I love you I talk about you a lot. I know you are the best dad for me. You always did your best and tried hard to lead our family and I'll say you've done well. We have lots of trials but we can do anything. Thanks for all your insights. 

I am happy and laughing. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment