Thursday, October 29, 2015

hump week....nangyari na






This was a pretty good week. I will stick to the highlights. 

One great thing that happened this week was that I had exchanges with my nanay or trainer on the mission. It was great to see her again after some months, to catch up, to be able to speak straight tagalog to her, and have adventures with her, including seeing the ocean for the first time on my mission. 

I also hit my halfway mark this week. What? Where did half my mission go? As I reflect on the last nine months, it is full of hardship strife and pain. But it is also full of growth, experience and of course joy. This IS my joy. Although each day there are things that make it difficult, there are language barriers, there are drunk people, there are storms and heat and rejection, there is also the pure happiness that comes from trying to be like Jesus. I invite all of you to try, just a little bit each day to become a little more like Him. See what happens to you too. 

We had interviews with the mission president. One thing I have been really loving about my mission pres is his humor. I have to take notes of Deyro humor all the time. It was funny though because I didn't really have any concerns at the interview. I saw a liahona on his desk though that I didn't recognize (i have read so many on my mission) and I asked if it was new. He said, oh no that's really old, have it. I was like no it's okay. But he just said take it. It was pretty crazy because it contained articles pertaining to many of the different things I have been pondering and some of those questions in my heart I didn't realize I had. Tender mercies. 

The Lucena Kids got baptized!!! Their baptism was a joy. Their dad was able to baptize him. It was fun to see their sweet family together with no fighting or yelling, but peace and happiness as they progress in His plan for them. I liked later that night as I saw they had started being taught Jan 22 (which happens to be Jan 21 in the US-the day I went into the MTC) and they were lost somewhere a couple months later...then as I thought about them and returned to them, I got to be the missionary that witnessed their baptism halfway in their mission. What a blessing. Sometimes you just feel like certain things were meant for you. 

Shoutout to the member who fed us skippy peanut butter and bread and lemonade for a snack this week. 
Also shoutout to Urdaneta 2nd Ward choir. We totally rocked Come Unto Christ. 

I love you all and I love my mission. I love my life and I love what the Savior is doing with it. Enjoy your week! Please ponder conference. And your scriptures. And talk to our Father- He's waiting for you, He's calling your name! 

--
Sister Smith


To Mom:

Yay! I'm way excited for Sister Jenkins. She sent me a card and a necklace this week. I'm sad though bc when I wear necklaces here my neck turns green and I look like an alien creep. 
I forgot I sent a letter :) yay.
I am sad I missed playing at Sister Bard's funeral. We planned that for a long time. Cool tender mercies though. I remember a while ago knowing that she served a mission here in the Philippines but I had forgotten. I remember a few years ago when I went over and wrapped presents with her for her grandkids for Christmas. I wish I could go back to those experiences and hear stories again and ask more questions. Kindof like you feel with great grandma and my quilt. We take so much for granted. 
I love all those stories about her. What a neat person. I hope I can be great like her. 
Thanks for the pictures. I think I didn't take the ST G one, but it's still cool. and I love that temple. Thank you!
One thing I need to have you do is try to find out when i would need to sign up for classes for fall 2016 semester. I just realized that I need to make some big decisions and I need to have a deadline. like if I'm going to try to do SPED or not. 
You should email sis p. She still hasn't got any mail from her family.
I love davie. It's great. You sent a letter. I think that's all. IT was awesome.
I'll teach you to ami someday.
Thanks for taking my study suggestions. I like hearing stuff about it. 
Hopefully we don't have anything worse than that typhoon. I can handle that, but ugh. 
Wow I'm popular. Just kidding you are. You should search for Cherrie May Dassun Talusig or Gem Mines I think they posted some pics with me in on fb. but Idk. 
I am happy Im halfway, sad, I feel like it's too short before I go home but also forever. LIfe is weird. 
Thanks for being a great mom. Tell the boys hi. I love you all. 


To Dad:

daddddy dearest. this is your princess petunia. 
hows it going.
there's some crap from the storm but its not too bad. our work kindof stunk because of the people being busy and us trying to recover and get going again but yeah. 
your job sucks. just kidding. I am glad you have one. I'm sorry it's slow and that the economy stuff is bad. do you know who's running for president next year? It probably won't get better before the second coming.
I'm glad you have such a great calling to have such great experiences. Speaking of callings, tell mom she won't get released till she loves her calling. and learns whatever God wants her to learn. 
My calling is pretty good :)
Wow people want your talk. You're like a general authority. You'll probably get famous! I wish I could hear it. It's not fair ;) I have to miss everything. But I get to do and see awesome stuff here too. 
Sis Paningbatan is funny. But our exchanges sucked because their next door apartment is also missionaries. bad ones. We had to wait up because they didn't come home till after 10:30.. they were full of lies. It is sad to see people like that. It makes me appreciate you and mom a lot because you gave me an attitude of obedience. and I only really rebelled once and it wasn't very fun (Jacob Lake.) 
Thanks for thinking of me in the temple. I am glad I get to be there, in your thoughts. Keep writing me letters. Sis Smith liked your letter I can't remmeber if I told you that.
Thanks for being a great dad. I know that I am sometimes way hard. Especially when I feel scared or something. But even though we yell at each other I still know you love me. So don't worry. I will see you in 9. Love you all!
--
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment