Monday, November 23, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello everyone. I will start off by saying I'm handwashing laundry again. it's way not bad, and it makes me feel grateful for the washer and dryer at home!
This week I saw a lot of miracles and blessings. I was challenged by a friend to really dedicate this week to Him, and although it was not perfect, I was striving to be a little MORE than I usually am. A little more diligent, patient, humble, focused, etc. It really brought a lot of wonderful experiences. I will continue to just think that way. Be dedicated and be more.
I opened my mission call more than a year ago. I know that many of you may never open one. But you can open the blessings. They are for all of us. If we try to love and serve Him, we will experience more joy and blessings. We will have a greater testimony of His reality and His gospel. I have experienced it. We don't have to be perfect. But we should be trying. If we are trying, we're moving, we are experiencing, and we are receiving.
This week we went to the home of some of our recent converts who are a bunch of children. Their father is a member. Their step mom usually is the one there, but she doesn't stay. She attended the temple with the kids last week. We went and visited this week and she said "I'm listening today, I want to be baptized! And she cried and cried about the experiences she has been having and the love she has been feeling for the gospel.
We also went to the house of some members. We shared, and then they said they thought we were there because we knew the wife had cancer. We had no idea, and it was just what they needed. I am grateful Heavenly Father works through us so we can have participation in His work and His glory.
Funny story- we had a presentation thing yesterday for our new chapel, how members should help it be clean and stuff. When he started the slide show, I thought the chapel looked pretty familiar. After a few seconds of staring at the parking lot, the mountains, I realized it was my chapel in Logan at Utah State. I forgot what it's called. But yeah, I saw a little piece of home. (Also, the one who gave the presentation was Hailey Sprouse's mission president I think, Pres. Andaya.)
Something I loved that I read yesterday just got me thinking and feeling a desire to change. It is a quote by Spencer W Kimball. He said "Is your pride more important than your peace?" I think I realized there is so much pride in me sometimes that I can't feel the peace that He can give. So I will change :)
Well, I love you all. Everyone, I invite you this Christmas to come to know Christ. On November 29, a worldwide initiative will begin. Please visit christmas.lds.orgnext week to learn about our Savior who was born. and discover why. This is not just for members :) If you are someone who loves Jesus Christ, feel free to participate by sharing your love with others on facebook, instagram, etc starting 11/29 using #aSaviorisBorn 
I am grateful for all of you! Have a great thanksgiving and week. Love, Sister Smith

--
Sister Smith







To Mom:
Dear Mom,
We lost internet so I can’t read your email right now to answer it, but I will just type here in word until It comes back. Here are 12 things…
1.       I got your letter from sis J. Thanks! I am glad you sent me dad’s talks. I needed them. I am so lucky to have you and dad as my parents. 
2.       Who is Keaton’s bishop? Is it still Bishop Lauer? You should have him say Hi if so.
3.       Michael and I  usually email every week. He got called as ward mission leader. 
4.       I love PB. I love PB and J sandwiches. 
5.       I had a dream about Trevor Ferguson. He was the boy with Down Syndrome in my 2nd grade class. I don’t know why I had it. But I wonder how he is. I also have lots of people with disabilities in my area right now. Maybe it’s a sign.
6.       Tell Keaton Happy Birthday last week, Ashley Hill today, and Tyler this week. I love them all. I will try to get Ty an email too if there is time. 
7.       This week I was thinking as I fell asleep how life relates to an Orchestra. Like God is a composer. I think someone has thought of that. But it kindof helped me think about things in a new way. 
8.       I listened to Meg’s talk. So good. I am excited to apply what she said better.
9.       I think we will call on Christmas here, but I’m not sure. I think I will just try to Skype. I think it is fun to see your face… but we will continue to think. I can’t believe it’s almost here!
10.   I am going to try to make a pie variation (I found Crisco in our apartment. It expired in sep.but it wasn’t opened and it smells fine so I’m using it.) inour toaster oven. I am also going to try to make sweet potatoes. I figured I have no time and that’s all I really care about at thanksgiving anyway. 
11.   I love you all. I haven’t even read Dad’s email yet. I’ve been thinking about for next year maybe we can all try to read the whole book of mormon or some sort of unified  thing starting in January and ending when I go home. Do you have any ideas? Be creative J It could even be related to missionary work.
12.   Oh yeah. That reminded me of tyler. I think my luggage is fine but I think it could be bigger and that would be nice. Maybe 2 big ones. Also don’t get a carry on. Just get a backpack. I think things like journals are good if he will write in them. As far as other stuff… hmm. Clothes. Shoes. Things to mark scriptures. Maybe a camera. Since he doesn’t have one. I realized I brought a lot of extra stuff in some ways. I don’t know. I wish you knew where he was going. If it was cold it could be cool to give him a blanket. But you don’t know. I will keep thinking for next week. Hmm. Waterproof watch. 
Well. I guess that’s it. I love you lots. I miss you a bunch too. This week was rough. But at the same time way rewarding. I think that Satan really worked on me because I was trying so hard to be dedicated and consecrated.  If  you go up north for thanksgiving try to say hi to Michael. I don’t know where he’ll be or anything. But yea. Love you lots!!!!! 
pics. from mission leadership council. new weird orange dress that is a little too short but was 1 dollar. apples i eat when I miss grandma. creepy right? I eat her. 


-- 

To Dad:

I don't know why but I can't write you without crying every week haha. It's just like home. haha. 
Mom sent me your talks. They were really good. 
I really don't have time to write but I love all that you said I think I read that same verse in D&C this week. I'm around that spot.
Do you know anyone named Brock Olson? He baptized an LA in my area and his named sounded Utahn. He's from Utah... Is he in our ward? probably not, but if so, that would be a good tender mercy to share with this guy to get him active.
I've been trying to pray for sign language to help Andres. Unfortunately I know nothing really. But things are coming back. He knows very little anyway but he learns quickly I've heard. 
My area is alright. I feel like I want to do things differently, but I also need to trust my companion and I'm trying to make sure my motivations aren't selfish before I make suggestions. It's fine. :) I love our area though. and Sis Nolido. 
I'm sad about that story. Emily Newhalls baby niece died recently too. she was 3. she had some seizures suddenly. at the doctor they found out it was aggressive leukemia and she was gone in less than 10 days total . I'm grateful for the gospel so these tragedies are temporal only. I've been trying to not get down by the things i hear but to build strength because I know someday really hard things will happen to me and I know now is the time to prepare. 
Well I love you. I am really grateful. I am grateful for my mission. and for my life. 
Did you listen to the Meg Johnson talk that mom told me about and sent me? were you there at the conference? It was good. 
anyways, bye. 
Love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment