Sunday, July 3, 2016

It smells like the fourth of july

that's all. It doesn't look like it. But we walked down the street and I smelled some grass and barbecue stuff and hot summer air... Later this afternoon we'll hopefully have a thunderstorm so I can close my eyes and pretend it's fireworks :)
Miracles of the week...
One day we planned to go to sister Ruby. She's so cute. I was thinking during Personal Study that we really need to teach her husband. But he is always gone or busy. I just kindof pondered and prayed in my heart. Later that morning we went to her..... her husband was home! Even though he was supposed to be working, he had gotten a little sick and stayed home. Hallelujah!
Number 2. I saw our 102 year old friend smoking again. I'm not sure if that's a miracle. But I'm glad she is alive!
Number 3. 2 of the investigators that I taught in Sta Barbara (RR and tatay Celinong) are baptized! I planted and fertilized for 5 months, and finally the harvest came. Yippee!
Number 4. Our power was out one morning. Sometimes if it's like that, it's for the whole day. But I was like pleasssse. Because I had milk in the fridge. and it came on right away!
Number 5. TWICE this week we planned to find some less active members. and TWICE I forgot to bring the list. One time, we just taught some random older ladies that we found after going down a mysterious path that I felt like turning on even though my comp's stomach was killing her... and anyway a lady walked in on the lesson, and she's one of the members on the list who hasn't even seen missionaries for probably 25 years. The second time we also found  a less active. That's not coincedence, Heavenly Father plans for my forgetfulness :)
Number 6. We are teaching this old man named Pedro. He's the cutest. Sooo sweet. BUT he doesn't understand much Tagalog. yet, he managed to make it to the church, all by himself yesterday, and he was even there an hour early ;) But how cool. He's almost 79 years old!
That's just  a taste of the life here. I love it. I see so many miracles. And most of them come out of our pain and adversity. As I studied in the NT about Gethsemane earlier, I thought of how many of the hardest things, the guiltiest or saddest or most disappointed or rejected or tired or whatever crappy times we have often lead to the sweetest, lightest, most hopeful mornings filled with His love. Just like Gethsemane, it may close in darkness, but when our eyes are opened spiritually again, whether by repentance/forgiveness, or a blessing or resolution, just like the resurrection we are given peace. 

And with that, peace out everyone. I will just keep swimming (literally it's been raining so hard) and you should too! 
And watch out for bees. I never knew, but they will still sting you even if it's dark outside. I learned that from being stabbed in the throat. 
Enjoy this and the next 3 or 4 emails because that's all youre gonna get. haa!

Pics:
One is me with the first dr pepper I've SEEN in 17.5 months. 
One is my weird shake I got.
Happy 4th of july chicken.
pretty fields. 
me and my grandbaby.

--
Sister Smith



To Mom and Dad:

I can't believe it. I'm so excited sometimes. I was all irked this week because I found out that some of the missions are on earlier tracks. Like one sister, she entered the mtc 2 or 3 weeks after me, and their transfer schedule puts her going home almost 3 weeks before me. My mission is a month longer! But I know it's not that important, and that God's timing is what matters, I am just REALLY excited to see my mom. and dad. and cooper. and stuff. like if I sing along to taylor swift on accident I won't feel like a sinner. And I was really hoping I'd at least be there for the 24th of July.. hopefully I can at least do some fun summer activities. 

I used to hate mayo but this week I ate chicken salad sandwiches twice and the third day a cucumber sandwich and it's so nice. I'm cutting down on rice when I have a choice. Its funny because I just got your letter today and you wrote about what laci said about rice and I was like yep. that's the problem.

I"m so grateful for my childhood and our FHEs and that you let us teach although sometimes I'm sure my lessons were way weird and boring. 

I had a weird dream. I had prayed for little by little to understand more fully my testimony. Then that night I dreamed that I saw a video, and I was 10 years old in the video, sitting at a table with Henry B Eyring, and uncle Jason. and I just bore this simple and powerful testimony to them, and I woke up and I was like amazed at my 10 year old self who wasn't even real, but it just reminded me that I have been lucky to know the truth since I was little and that I need to keep my childlike conviction. Especially about the family, which Satan attacks so much (I think Jason was there because I saw him overcome that problem? Idk)
Anyway I'm a weirdo. I visited the lady in our ward who is half filipina and half american. She's from america so her english is so REAL. haha. It's fun, although I felt dumb because my english was awkward.

I'm glad daddy is recovering. I hope all is healed by the time I"m back! The weather has made work hard, but I don't care. It's fun :) 

I'm happy although not everything is perfect! I read all your letters to me from my whole mission (well most of them) and I laughed and bawled because I understood a lot more from this point. 

I'm jealous you are all up north and I'm excited to see everyone soon. Tyler didn't email him but I'll try to get a few words in to him and cooper.

Wellllllllllll bye. I love you! I have flight plans, so I will make sure you get them. 
mahal ko kayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment